My little space in the world

Teaching in action – examples to share

What does 7 days of lockdown look like?

April1

Here we are – 7 days of lockdown already done and dusted.

So what has it looked like?  What have we done?

I spent Thursday and Friday getting up around my ‘usual’ time, and going for a walk – getting out before it was daylight, before other people and their ‘bubbles’ would be about. I’d come home and get myself into work. We needed an updated newsletter to be put out to our families – after all it was still school term! (Newsletter here)

I’ve been able to catch up on professional readings that I have sat aside for weeks, and I’ve finally gotten around to updating our overdue school website . . . and yet the list of ‘to dos’ is steadily growing.

Home is getting a good ‘sort out’ – the office was rearranged to be my new work office and actually felt quite cosy! At night we’ve played board games – and just ‘hung out’ with the kids. They are finding things to do – Allie (13) had started a journal, was sewing and dare I say it keeping up to date with everything on Tik Tok, Instagram and HouseParty – Sam (17) was finding more time to sleep, and shoot hoops in his newly pre lockdown purchased basketball hoop! Sam – as the Coke merchandiser for the three supermarkets in town (as his after school job) is still deemed an essential worker so is still required to go to work). Roly is now working from home also.

Walking during the day is a new experience.  There are times when there is no one else about – no one walking, no one driving. On day 5 Roly and I went walking about 4pm and we walked up Severn Street without seeing any vehicles either way. Roly actually walked up the middle of Severn St to make the point! Meeting people is also interesting. Either we – or the people coming the other day ensure social distancing. Once upon a time I would have been offended if people crossed the street as I walked – now I’m grateful.

Meanwhile – the World Pandemic continues – thousands are dying in Italy, Spain and the States. NZ is amongst a large number of countries on lockdown – meanwhile Australia still continues a little like normal – ensuring that their hairdressers don’t spend more than 30 minutes on a client!!  The US are using ice rinks and refrigerated trucks to hold the dead, and still people choose not to isolate in some areas.

New York has acquired over 150 extra ambulances to transport patients between medical centres. Brazilian stadiums are being refurbished as potential hospitals. Other countries are setting up new hospitals that will hold up to 4000 patients at any one time.

While 70+ are the most at risk, and our one death (so far) has been a 70 something woman), the highest affected age group is the 20-29. The PM states that while NZ is doing a great job at isolating there are a number who aren’t – these people don’t think it applies to them – however then infect others. There are ‘clusters’ of people who are linked to specific events – weddings in Bluff, a school in Auckland, a conference in Queenstown, a bar in Matamata, a trip to the US.

NZ currently has 708 cases.  This has primarily only been based on cases that are linked to overseas travel.  With community transmission confirmed and the government now opening up testing to anyone the number of cases are expected to rise. The next few days will tell. I’ll leave you with this video – from Dr Lance O’Sullivan – former NZer of the year – and strong health advocate – this is happening too much in our country at the moment in some areas – Dr Lance O’Sullivan.

by posted under Lockdown | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Reading Tip of the Day

var LMWIDGET_width= 200; var LMWIDGET_height= 430; var LMWIDGET_postcount= 0;This widget requires the use of javascript!This widget requires the use of javascript!
Find this blog in the education blogs directory

Archives

Skip to toolbar